Wildlife & Nature
Take a walk among the wild flowers and tall grass, enjoy a quiet picnic down by the lake and listen to the birdsong in the air. Is there a more relaxing way to spend a summer’s afternoon?
We’re surrounded by nature here at Mena Farm, with badger setts and rabbit warrens within our grounds, and visiting deer often seen grazing in our fields. Look out for kingfishers and herons down at the pond, and listen for woodpeckers amongst the trees. Our park is also awash with wild plants and flowers, from bluebells and pink campion to daisies and wild poppies.
Surrounded by rolling Cornish countryside and with fantastic views all around, you’ll feel a million miles from anywhere. There’s no light pollution at Mena, which offers amazing opportunities for star-gazing.
Want to get up close and personal to our resident animals? We’ve got two Kunekune pigs called Rodney and Del-Boy as well as some chickens, which the little ones will love getting to know during their stay!
Our Beautiful Lake
Do you know the difference between a bream and a barbel? Or do you struggle to tell the difference between one end of rod and the other? Whether you’re an expert angler or a complete novice you can try your look in the small fishing lake at our park.
We’re no competitive coarse fishery here at Mena – and we don’t pretend to be. Our lake, with plants and lilies, is in a more natural state than most and is not the sort of bare lake that you see in some coarse fisheries.
Instead it is place where you can come and have a leisurely fish and see if you can land some the lake’s larger inhabitants. Take the little ones down to our lake and enjoy fishing for tiddlers in the shallows or try your luck and catch something a little bigger!
Or you can simply relax on the grass, have a drink or a picnic and spot some of the local wildlife. Guests frequently see deer, rabbits, kingfishers, owls and other birds of prey.
Day fishing fees are applicable, and you will also need to present an Environment Agency fishing licence to be able to fish in the lake.
Our Environmental Credentials
We love sharing our little corner of beautiful, rural Cornwall with our guests. Here are some of the ways in which we try our very best to protect our wildlife and the natural environment:
- Solar heated water in the shower block, and all showers and toilets are fitted with water-saving devices
- Recycling facilities are available across the site
- Our general waste is sent to a local incineration plant which produces green energy for the county
- We are a designated release site for hedgehogs rehabilitated by Prickles and Paws Hedgehog Rescue
- Large areas of the site are left wild and piles of old logs provide natural habitat for a wide array of wildlife
- Beach toys, field games and other items donated by our campers are freely available for use by other families
- All on-site lighting is LED, using either sensors or energy-saving timers to save energy